Sunday, May 6, 2012

Welcome Back! A New Classroom Tool.

After a long break (one school year), I'm back!

Now at the end of the school year I am reflecting on what I want to change for next year. One of the main things I want to change in my class is my library system. This year I have used a regular pen and paper checkout system. Students find a book they want to checkout and then write their name, the date, and the book title on a list located near my desk. This has worked pretty well but I feel as if it can be more efficient.

While perusing one of my favorite websites (The English Companion Ning), I found a link to website claiming to be a classroom library organization tool. Let me say, I have become skeptical when it comes to these classroom "tools". Usually, they are either lacking information or extremely expensive. This tool, however, is proficient in both knowledge and free-ness.

BookSource's "Classroom Organizer" is, simply, amazing. It allows teachers to scan books through their iPhone/iPad (free App) to create an online catalog. Students can then login to the website to checkout and return books. It allows you to set rules and gives students all kinds of information on the books they are interested in, such as AR points, length of the book, and recommendations. For those of us who are lacking in the tech department, "Classroom Organizer" allows you to manually log books as well.

Check out the below videos for more information on "Classroom Organizer".


Has anyone found anything like this or better? I'd love even more wonderful classroom tools!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment